maghull-scene blue_plaque
Dedicated to the promotion of Maghull and district.

Maghull blue plaques page.

Blue Plaque
... "celebrates a person's connection with an actual building and transforms  bricks and mortar into living history. All sorts of buildings are included in the scheme, from the smartest houses to small flats. Plaques bring a house to life and draws attention to the irreplaceable heritage of domestic architecture all around us. There are selection criteria: either one hundred years from birth, or twenty years from death, must have passed for a candidate to be eligible, the building associated with them must still exist, and we only commemorate an individual once...



A History of Blue Plaques 


The idea of erecting "memorial tablets" was first proposed by William Ewart MP.  In 1866 the Society of Arts founded an official plaques scheme. In 1901, the plaques scheme was taken over by London County Council (LCC), which erected nearly 250 plaques over the next 60 years and gave the scheme its popular appeal. It was under the LCC that the blue plaque design as we know it today was adopted, and the selection criteria were formalised. On the abolition of the LCC in 1965, the plaques scheme passed to the Greater London Council (GLC). Since 1986, English Heritage has managed the blue plaques scheme, in London until 1998, and nationally since then.


Plaques around Maghull


 The Olde Forge

  A quote from Tony Robertsons' blog -

"Local history is fascinating and just down the road from our house is Maghull’s newest historical plaque. It commemorates the ‘Old Forge’ that was Maghull’s blacksmith for many years. It is now the lovely home of the Olsen family but prior to them recently renovating the property it had been a place where time had literally stood still. You see the blacksmith business closed many years ago but the property remained as it was the day the business ceased. Only 3 or 4 years ago you could walk right up to the window and be treated to a previous time some of some 40 years ago. Pictured is Mayor of Maghull Geoff Howe with Mayoress Jenny and the Olsen family on the day the new plaque was unveiled."


Frank Hornby

 English inventor of the "Meccano" system

'The Hollies', Station Road

  Frank Hornby   First Factory   "Meccano"   Sefton Video  

 





George Holden  

English theologian and teacher  

St. Andrews rectory  

School    Open Plaques

 







Isaac Roberts  

Welsh builder and astronomer

Little Acre

Photos     Brittanica     NASA     Google books

 







Rafael Sabatinni  

Italian author and dramatist

'Jellys' Corner', Station Road

Images

 







Lord Vestey  

English shipping magnate

Quarry Brook House

Wiki     Dewhursts

 







Albany cimema  

Picture Palace

Albany Beatles

    

 







Samuel Franklin Cody  

Cody statue

Cody 1861-1913

    

 







Sefton Meadows  

Aintree Grand National

Sefton Meadows

text          









William Dunsmore  

Flt Lt W M Dunsmore DFC

William Dunsmore











Maghull Telephone Exchange  

Maghull Telephone Exchange

Maghull telephone exchange 1926 -1968











We at maghull-scene wish to thank the staff of Maghull Town Council for their assistance with gathering the information for this page.

Home

English Heritage

EH - Blue Plaques

Blue Plaques

  
© Copyright maghull-scene 2004. All rights reserved. Contact: maghull-scene    Powered by Free Site Templates